Here are some healthy ways to boost your dopamine levels naturally:
- Exercise – Any form of exercise that you enjoy can increase dopamine. Aerobic exercise and strength training are especially good.
- Eat foods rich in tyrosine – Tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine. Foods high in tyrosine include almonds, avocados, bananas, beans, chicken, eggs, fish, and yogurt.
- Get enough sunlight – Sunlight exposure causes your skin to produce vitamin D, which is linked to dopamine production. Get 10-15 minutes of midday sun.
- Listen to music – Listening to music you enjoy has been shown to increase dopamine levels. Make a playlist of your favorite uplifting songs.
- Meditate – Meditation activates the prefrontal cortex which plays a role in dopamine production. Try meditating for 10-20 minutes daily.
- Get a massage – Studies show massage therapy increases dopamine levels. Book a therapeutic massage or just have your partner give you a back rub.
- Set goals and accomplish them – Having goals gives you a sense of purpose, which boosts dopamine when you work toward them and accomplish them. Make sure the goals are realistic and meaningful to you.
- Do something creative – Whether it’s art, music, writing, or cooking, creative activities cause a dopamine release. Find ways to engage your creative side.
- Laugh – Laughing releases dopamine and makes you feel happier. Watch a comedy show, read humor writing, or hang out with people who make you laugh.
The key is to choose healthy activities you enjoy and that give you a sense of reward and accomplishment. Make them part of your daily routine.
The quickest, easist way however, is through supplements such as l-tyrosine!